With lockdown in full swing and many of us working from home or furloughed, and unable to leave the house, we have suddenly found we have more time on our hands. The housework has been done, our wardrobes have been re-arranged and gardens tidied up, but have we spent more time on our teeth?
Believe it or not, the best thing you can spend on your teeth is time – something most of us have in abundance at the minute. With dental practices only open for emergency treatment, it’s more important than ever to take time to look after your mouth.
Below are some top tips for spending time on your teeth:
- Disclose! This is a fun exercise for both adults and children to determine the effectiveness of tooth brushing and areas for improvement.
- Clean between! Let’s face it, we don’t always make time for interdental cleaning such as flossing, water flossing or using interdental brushes, so now is the time to. Aim to clean between your teeth once a day BEFORE tooth brushing. Can’t face a prolonged stint in the bathroom before bed? Do your cleaning between at a different time of the day.
- Check your bristles! Have a look at your toothbrush bristles (manual or electric). Are they splayed and looking a bit worse for wear? If so, it’s time to replace. These can be ordered online. It is important to brush your teeth at night and one other time every day.
- Pick your paste! Fluoride is the key ingredient. Look for something with at least 1350ppm fluoride or its equivalent. Under 3’s use a smear, over 3 years a pea sized blob. Spit out after brushing but don’t rinse – let the ingredients work for longer.
- Mouth rinse? If you use one, rinse at a different time of day to brushing.
- Be mouth aware! Check for signs and symptoms of mouth cancer regularly. Using a mouth mirror in good light can help
Your oral home care routine will only take around 10 minutes, leaving plenty of time to get back to baking your banana bread, spring cleaning and Zoom calls!
If you’re not confident with your oral hygiene routine, why not book a Time Out For Teeth (TOFT) session with Growing Smiles Coach Leigh GS? This is a virtual session that will focus on your specific oral care needs, including, tooth brushing technique, interdental cleaning, looking after appliances (e.g. braces, retainers), denture care, how to check for signs of mouth cancer, and more! Click here to find out more and book your slot today.
Your mouth really is your responsibility – particularly at the minute. Take control and stay on top of your oral hygiene, and most importantly, be safe, stay healthy and stay home to protect yourself, your loved ones and our NHS.